Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Uh... can I take it all back?


Let me first say I do not like Roger Clemens as a baseball player. He's arrogant. He's an egomaniac. He's all about creating that legendary persona so that people can worship later and be in awe of him when he has to eventually retire from baseball. When the Yankees played against the Marlins in the World Series, he made such a spectacle of it being his last year pitching, he had a long drawn out farewell tour that entire season, he took about 5-10 minutes to salute the crowd and the players for what was seemed to be his last game, only to come back the following year and the year after that and the year after that. He really likes people who love to kiss his ass.

So this is why I found the 2nd Baseball Congressional hearings to be so fascinating as well as so despicable. Fascinating, because you have this guy trying to salvage an extraordinary career dangling on a thread... who many thought (myself included) to be playing on borrowed time and playing too well for someone that old. Despicable, because it involves steroids again, and didn't we already do this in Congress many years ago with this guy below (among others)?



So it's amazing how it all went down today. In an election year, when we are about to pick another president, this hearing, at times, became divided along political party lines. What I find more interesting was the line of questioning (granted from both parties).

"You seem to be the same size in all those photos"

Thank you for your service to the New York Yankees.

What uniform will you be wearing upon induction to the Hall of Fame?

"All I can say Mr. Clemens, is I'm sure you're going to heaven"

And now you see why people think the government is wasting it's time and the people's money on something that would not seem as important as health care, the economy, or the war in Iraq. The members of Congress didn't seem to take it seriously. They were all kissing Clemens' allegedly injected ass.


On the drive home from work today, I was listening to sports radio which I do on occasion. They were talking about the hearings today and how Clemens might be brought up on perjury charges. And why not? Every player in Senator Mitchell's report on steroids in baseball, who was named for taking steroids or performance enhancing drugs, came forward and admitted to taking drugs... except for Roger Clemens. Players who were friends with Clemens named him in sworn affidavits. It just seems someone is in utter denial.

I don't need to rehash any more about what was covered today. You can read it yourself to the extent that you desire. But this is my soapbox, and all I have to say is this.


Roger Clemens might be a great human being, a great father, a great husband, and a great friend to some. But he was the biggest asshole in his sport, a guy who would lose his temper, and a guy who thought he was better than anybody. Like Barry Bonds, I hope he can sleep at night in all that denial, because after all this is over, it's all he'll have left.

The legacy he achieved and desired is no more. It is merely a figment of his own imagination.

LeeZy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.